The Conversation: Tuesday, August 11th 2015
Cane Burning Injunction; Othello; Kauai Marijuana Dispensary; Hawaii Youth Opera Chorus Fall Enrollment
Lance D. Collins is the attorney representing Stop Cane Burning. He recently filed for an immediate injunction in Maui’s Environmental Court to put the burning activities of Alexander & Baldwin's Hawaiian Commercial & Sugar Company on hold pending the resolution of the group's lawsuit.
- Intro Music: Dr. Ray by Men in Grey Suits
- Outro Music: Casbah by Los Straightjackets
A play that touches on universal themes can always find new life on the stage, as productions of Shakespeare and other classic artists remind us year after year. Othello has more than its share of those themes: race, jealousy, and lust all get thrown into a rich stew, and events unfold pretty quickly. Othello’s a powerful man with a long way to fall -- and fall he does. R. Kevin Garcia Doyle is directing the Hawaii Shakespeare Festival Production of the tragedy that opens this Friday and runs until August 23rd at the ARTS at Marks Garage on Nu`uanu Ave. in downtown Honolulu.
- Intro Music: Othello Suite: I. Prologue and Introduction by Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra
- Outro Music: Othello Suite: VII. Othello's Despair by Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra
Judiah McRoberts is a Kauai resident and Registered Nurse. He has worked in long-term care facilities, hospice, pediatrics, home health care, and healthcare systems management. He is currently the lead director of the Kauai Dispensary Project, an organization that intends on applying for a dispensary license for the island of Kauai.
- Intro Music: Bossa Amore by Men in Grey Suits
- Outro Music: Casting Out the Nines by Dub Trio
It’s hard to match the combination of anxiety and excitement a child feels getting on stage for the first time – some will shy away, but others get the performing bug for life. Choral performance gives kids a way to take the stage in the company of their friends, as generations of singers in the Hawaii Youth Opera Chorus have learned. Malia Ka'ai Barrett has seen it happen. She’s the Community Youth Choir’s General Manager, as it begins fall enrollment for its 55th season.
- Intro Music: Aida: Triumphal Chorus & Grand March (Gloria all'Egitto) by Giuseppe Verdi
- Outro Music: Madame Butterfly, Act 2: Coro a bocca chiusa (Humming Chorus) by Vienna State Opera Chorus